Saturday, June 11, 2005

Two in a Row

The Twins just suffered thier second consecutive loss to the Dodgers. Of course, the last one was 39 2/3 years ago.

1. Terry Mulholland? In the 9th? In a tie game? On the road? Did anyone see us winning when that decision had been made? I'm sure Gardy said "We don't deserve to win this game. Tell TJ to serve up a gopher. I need to sleep." Now, I like TJ more than most, probably because he played for the '93 Phillies, but c'mon. What was Romero doing? Or Nathan? Or even Matt Guerrier?

2. Jesse Crain should require a new pitching statistic to be created, the "In-Game Save" or something. Not a hold, because that requires a lead, but something that represents how many times he comes on with Runners In Scoring Position and doesn't let them score, if we're tied, or down by one or something. And tonight he did it in two consecutive innings. (Inning 2 had the leadoff runner get to second on a throwing error.) Bummer to blow that on Old Man Mulholland's Hara-kiri.

3. Can MLB make a rule for interleague play? Names on the backs of all players jerseys? The Dodgers field a team of NL players that I've probably never seen before, but have heard of. It would be nice to connect faces to names, but their stupid nameless jerseys prevent that. The only guys I knew were Jeff Kent (Who has played in several recent postseasons), and Jason Phillps (the only catcher in MLB to wear his helmet forwards when catching). I guess I now know who Hee Sop Choi is. Well, I know Eric Gagne, but that goes without saying.

4. Watching sports in other time zones is different. Two weekends ago, I was in Alaska, and I walked out to a glacier on Sunday morning. When I got back, before noon, the Twins had already lost to Halladay in Toronto. (ESPN was available at the B&B). Tonight, I'm back in MN and the game last until nearly 1am. One thing that would bother me if I lived in Alaska: no late-night sports. Ever.

Well, that's day one of blogging. That's what I think I will usually do. Less analysis than Gleeman, Less sass than Batgirl, Less information than Seth, Less knowledge than SBG, Zellar or Frightwig. But a lot more concern about uniforms.

4 Comments:

Blogger frightwig said...

You're off to a great start, amr.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definately agree with your names on jersies point. In fact, I don't understand why everybody doesn't always have them on their jersies. I mean, what could it hurt? Isn't that part of the whole idea of jersies?

Bert said a week or so ago something along the lines that he thinks interleague games are a good idea, but they got the concept wrong. Us AL folks would love to see our pitchers hit and NL fans should be able to see a game with DH's, so why don't they play the NL game at the AL team's park, and vice versa? Doesn't that make more sense? I think so.

amr, so far so good! I'll keep checking back with you...

7:02 PM  
Blogger SBG said...

Yeah, Mulholland in the ninth inning of a tie game. Brilliant!

6:04 AM  
Blogger SBG said...

SLW: Exactly. Play the NL rules in the AL parks and vice versa. That would really give the fans a better idea of how the game is played in the other league.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home