Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Back

I wasn't sure if my absense made a difference or not. Went 1-3 against Oakland but 2-1 against Boston. But losing to Seattle by a walked-in run, made me feel like my absense wasn't helping at all. So I guess I'm back.

If Lohse gets lit up tonight, I'm gonna hate myself.

1. This Guy is in prison for being a terrorist, extradition, whatever. I don't know if his alleged crimes were recently committed, but if I were his defense, I would use tape of his work in centerfield for the Red Sox as an alibi. Hopefully, the jury isn't made up of Yankees fans.

2. With the demotion/release of Pat Borders, the only catchers on Seattle's 25-man roster are named "Yorvit" and "Wiklenman" (known as "Wiki"). I doubt that kind of thing is quantifiable, but if it were, that's got to be a record.

2a. Still looking for a name for my PTBNL. "Wiki Abiorix R"? "Runelvys Yorvit R"? Nope, still looking...

3. Speaking of names, "Rodriguez" must be the most blessed surname in all of baseball: Alex, Francisco, Ivan, Felix, Luis, John. And as far as I know, none of these guys are related.

4. If I could rejigger lineups to get matches, I would see to it that Valerio De Los Santos (FLA) would get to start against Victor Santos, and then have Jorge De La Rosa relieve Santos.

5. Yay for Dustan! In the day game of yesterday's doubleheader, he had an awesome catch in the 11th and won the game with a walk-off 2-out HR in the 12th. Look at his season line: .214/.269/.489. He's not hitting frequently, but averaging 2.3 bases per hit. If he wasn't striking out 35% of the time, he'd be damned good. Before this year, he was striking out only 26% of the time. (Shoot, I just realized those might be Coors-influenced numbers. Yep. Home .242/.305/.611, Away: .184/.220/.356 in similar numbers of ABs. His strikeouts are close to equally bad both home and away.)

6. Note: less posting this week, my 5th anniversary is Thursday and I'm going out of town.

3 Comments:

Blogger SBG said...

Welcome back.

6:00 PM  
Blogger frightwig said...

See, I knew it wasn't your fault. I'm glad to see you writing again, too.

Btw, looking at that photo makes me wonder, is Dustan Mohr morphing into Moby?

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say the most blessed surname in baseball is 'Robinson', myself, but 'Rodriguez' does seem to be showing well lately.

And as long as we're playing the name game, it's odd to remember that back in my Pursue-the-Pennant, Earl Weaver Baseball addled youth, I could always seem to put together a reasonably competitive roster out of guys with the first name of 'Dave'. Sadly, those days are long gone.

--
David Wintheiser

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home