Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Rattling your Closer.

1. Okay, so when you've got your no-offense, pitching-only team into the playoffs the first things you go and do is play a practical joke on your closer and get him "Rattled." Charlie Garner - the manager (!) did this to Brad Lidge over an accidental obscenity in a post-game interview.

1a. Likewise, don't break your ace pitcher's ribs during the division-clinching celebration.

2. So, watching the gamecast at work today, not sure who I feel towards as neither my Twins or my late-season rooting interest Hafners are in it. So who do I find myself rooting for the most? Those damned White Sox. (I am such a traitor.) I know, the ChiSox are our enemy, but they're our enemy. One thing I like about the unbalanced schedule, is you play some teams so damned many times that you get to know them very well. I could probably name more players the Royals called up this year than some big-shot baseball writer on the East Coast. You get to know them and grudgingly respect them. Plus, Pierzynski is on that team, and he's always reminded me of my uncle. Yes, the same team I wanted to choke over the last two weeks is now the team I feel myself wanting to win.

2a. However, watching the recaps on ESPN, maybe i'll change my mind if I have to hear about small-, smart-, or Ozzie-ball for the rest of October. Look, they're a well-rounded team, with excellent pitching, a wide variety of quality hitters, and good fielding.

2b. Do you think that Konerko would mind DHing for the Twins?

3. My real rooting interest is probably the Braves. You grow fond of teams that give you about 60-70 of their games for free per year. I've watched more Braves games than games from any other team that isn't the Twins. (Maybe that's the real reason I want my exiled Twins to end up there, so I can keep tabs on them.)

4. The best thing I have come across so far: Deadspin's live blogging of daytime playoff games. Funny, funny, but you have to read up from the bottom. Here are links to the Cards-Padres game and the ChiSox-BoSox game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home