Monday, May 29, 2006

Guilty Pleasure

This probably makes me a bad person, but, this spring, one of my life's simple pleasures has been watching the Cubs lose. I haven't really been able to enjoy the Twins winning, and Mike Scioscia in last place really hasn't been televised, but the losing of the Cubs is there for you to watch, on WGN, nearly every day.

I feel a little remorse when I realize that this also means that Jacque Jones is losing, but you gotta crack some eggs to make an omelet.

I have no idea why I love seeing the Cubs lose so much, but I do and it's beautiful, and I'll cheer for any random MLB team to run roughshod over them, or let them come back despite giving up 8 homeruns, only to beat them in the 11th. Maybe soon we'll get a no-hitter into the 9th, only to give up 5 runs and the win right there. That would fit.

There are three teams that I can watch 80% of the games of on TV: Twins, Braves, and Cubs. I perenially want the Braves and Twins to meet in the World Series, and the Cubs to be really embarrased somehow. I wish on them what I wish on the Vikings: coming tantalizingly close only to have it taken away at the last, most painful time. (I am a Vikings fan, too, though.) I was so happy with the Marlins back in 2003 because of what they did.

Comeon Cinci, 3 runs in the 9th to tie. Let's do it!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

I'm kind of indifferent to the Cubs. Being a huge Twins fan in 1987 and 1991, I have to say I could never bring myself to cheer for the Braves, however.

7:57 PM  
Blogger amr said...

It'd be different if the Twins had lost to the Braves. I still hold it against the A's for 1992. Plus, I think Hrbek pulled Ron Gant off the base.

Also, after the Strike I left baseball for 6 years (coinsiding with senior high, college, and the Twins being very bad), so I pretty much gave every team a clean slate.

I'm not even bitter at the White Sox for being the Thomas-era "Bitch Sox." Ozzie got them to quit whining and start winning and I started to have a hard time hating.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home