Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The man who sang "Liberty Valance"


Gene Pitney, pop singer whose hits were mostly in the 60's, died last night. "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" is one of my all-time favorite songs. My earliest memory of non-children's music was my dad singing along to that song as it played on the cabinet phonograph in the basement. Had I had any musical talent, it was one of the songs I would regularly cover (along with Ice-T's "Midnight" and Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments"). Thanks for the records, Gene.

SBG, if you're reading this, Gene releases a Stones-penned song "That Girl Belongs to Yesterday" in 1964, which is right when they started getting popular, I believe.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Town Without Pity.

My older sister loved that song and wore out our little 45rpm record player with it. I should ask her about that...

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home