Thursday, June 23, 2005

The Phillies' Jerseys

1. Non-Twins Item. I caught a bit of the Mets-Phillies game on ESPN between "Dancing with Celebrities" on ABC and "Hitting with Mays" on FSN. For the first time, I noticed what an affront to decency the number font on the Phillies' jerseys is. It looks like a cartoon font.

It looks like they don't use that font when you order a jersey from the mlb.com shop, so I can't find a decent linkable picture of it on a jersey. Here's a picture of the font on a T-Shirt. When did they start using this? Not before the WS 1993 season, I hope. Does anyone else do anything uglier?

The Phillies just dropped to the bottom of my complex baseball rooting hierarchy, even below the Yanquis, ChiSox, BoSox, and Cubs. All because of the font.

2. Go Longhorns! I'm cheering for Texas to win the College World Series because I love thier softball team's pitcher, Cat Osterman. I know that makes about as much sense as rooting for the Yanquis because Shameka Christon is your favorite WNBA player, but I don't care.

3. [Back to the Twins.] Okay, so I figured we wouldn't win, but maybe a couple of runs in the 9th in either this game or the previous night, just to show we still remember to hit?

4. Carlos Silva, Twins nation turns its lonely eyes to you. If Silva can't get us out of this, I fear we've got til after the All-Star break before it starts going any better. He's our #2 starter to me.

5. I'm not exactly sure that the White Sox will lose again this season.

6. Luis R (1.0) is hitting .313 since returning from the DL, including .357 as 2B. His hustle tonight led Robertson to pitch (instead of throw) to first and ended up leading to Dmitiri Young leaving the game with an injury (which could have helped) and the Twins' only run (which could have helped). Since he's back, he's got as many hits (5) as anyone on the team. Not that it's good for him, just bad for everyone else.

7. Going to the game tomorrow with work. Home-run porch. Hope to catch Luis R's first extra-base hit of the year.

8. I'm really not that much of a Sonic Youth fan anymore, their new stuff hasn't struck me like the first 12 or so albums did. But when you've gone to every concert in the Cities since 1995 (6 or so), it feels wrong to break the streak because of a lackluster album or two. Plus, they're always good live. Always looking to hear "Eric's Trip" or "NYC Ghosts & Flowers" again.

4 Comments:

Blogger frightwig said...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my research team tells me that the Phillies switched to that uni style and font in 1992.

Here is a link to a photo of Mitch Williams, showing the #99 on his back:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nl/philadelphiaphils/Wildthing.jpg

I think the ugliest number font in the majors today is worn by the Blue Jays. Those are just an affront to the eyes.

3:59 AM  
Blogger frightwig said...

Sorry, the .jpg address got cut off. Try this:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nl/philadelphiaphils/
Wildthing.jpg

4:01 AM  
Blogger frightwig said...

Here's the problem with the so-called "Home Run Porch": it's not on the upper level, where you'd think it should be. Instead of being the upper deck above the baggy in RF, it's just the new name they gave to the Lower GA in LF--which is further away from home plate, doesn't hang over the field like a porch, and is to the opposite field for the team's two young lefthanded stars of the future.

4:08 PM  
Blogger SBG said...

Speaking of Fonts, I don't know if you've covered this, but the T-Wolves' number font is quite wild. Wrong sport, I know. That 8 has always bugged me.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home