Thursday, September 08, 2005

Blown Saves

How much has the blown save hurt the Twins over the last 2 days?
1. Twins lose Tuesday on Nathan's blown save.
2. Oakland wins on Wednesday with Eddie's blown save.
3. Yanquis win on Wednesday off Borowski's blown save (eighth inning blown save... "blown hold"?)

Had all three saves been converted, the AL Wildcard standings would be:
Hafners 78-61, 0 GB
Yanquis 77-61, 0.5 GB
Oakland 76-63, 2 GB
T-win-s 74-65, 4 GB
And I would be much happier.

I watched the 9th and 10th of the ESPN2 game last night (Mets at ATLs). Looper blew a 1-run save in the 9th, his team got the 1-run lead back in the 10th, and he proceeded to load the bases with no outs. On comes Shingo Takatsu*: Shallow Pop, Shallow Pop, Full Count . . . I actually thought he was gonna be able to do it . . . game winning single between third and short.

Plus, Dougie Baseball had a great dig at first in the 9th.

*late of the WhiteSox, he would have had my vote for AL ROY last year, but then I have a bias towards pitchers and towards the AL central and against West Coast teams that play so late they don't make Baseball tonight. My vote this year would probably be King Felix, but I don't really know . . . I mean all of the A's except Kielty and Zito are rookies and they're playing pretty well, too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rookie of the year awards should only go to players who have played ALL season imo.

8:16 PM  
Blogger amr said...

When does all season begin? Opening day roster? Began playing in April? Before June?

I think you should consider everyone who won't be eligible for it for next season, realizing that the less they've played, the less weight to give their performance.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home